Friday, September 6, 2019

THE NATURE OF NATURE

Heidy-Ho, Blogging Buddies!!

Again... I seem to be always "behind" in posting after I catch a few photos.  I want there to be enough to make a full post so I am sorry for the delay.

Now then... let's talk Nature.  A few interesting and/or funny things have happened lately... and I have attempted a new thing or two, all in the name of Nature.

So... going back to late May, I noticed my heirloom tomato plants seemed to be having issues.  After trying a few things to help them, I found a little "buddy" on one while watering.  Further searching revealed seven more!!  Darn it!!  I worked to eliminate them but was not successful.  Too late.

In early August, after having lost my heirloom tomato plants to those insane Tomato Hornworms, I discovered one on the jalapeno plant!!!  Oh NO, you don't!!  Snatched him off and put him on the woodpecker "butter bar" (where we feed the woodpeckers) in case they might like a little snack.  Don't know the outcome... but have seen no more.

During my walks, I always keep an eye out for the Mississippi Kites that arrive here in late Spring and leave in late Summer.  They are wonderful, small birds of prey.  They have a beautiful high-pitched call.  They snatch insects (primarily cicadas!) out of the air and return to a tree or high wire to feed on them!  Great fun to watch them during their hunt.  I knew they would be leaving again soon... and got lucky.  Found two of them on a tree in front of a house about 4 houses down from ours.  We usually have one that hangs out on the high wire behind our place... but to see two together was really cool.

One doesn't have to walk to find critters.  I'm sure you recall the squirrel post last time?  Well... just know there are plenty of wildlife hanging around... even in one's back yard!
(The leaf shape is on the glass. It keeps birds from flying into the glass door. Has worked well!)


There are two parks very nearby.  Woodway Park #1 and Woodway Park #2.  They are along Lake Waco with trails, roads, picnic tables, etc.  Very nice and very nature-filled.  We nearly always see cottontails, roadrunners, or deer while walking early in the morning.  The Man has even seen a baby Bobcat... which he moved away from as reasonably quickly and quietly as possible.  :)  One of the best things for me are the water birds.  There are herons, egrets, osprey, ducks... lots of beautiful birds.  Here are a few we have seen.  Sorry the photos are not great but they are hard to catch and are typically at a distance.  Most were far away and I had to use the max zoom-in on my phone.  But hopefully you can at least tell what you are seeing!!  The osprey is in the last three photos... sitting, taking flight, then landing across the way in front of a campsite area.


LOOK HARD!!!  HE'S ALONG THE WATER'S EDGE BLENDING WITH THE ROCKS!!!





Alright.  I know.  I have overdone it.  Sorry.  But I try to capture these guys, when possible.  Just sharing an enjoyable morning with you.

Hope you have all had a wonderful summer!  Looking forward to a bit cooler weather!

Until next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment